Academic Essays - School Guidance Counseling
Personal Statement School Guidance Counseling
Graduate applicants to school guidance counseling programs must submit a personal statement with their application materials. In three to five pages, integrate your thoughts around these two major themes into a comprehensive personal statement. Please address each of the specific parts identified within each theme.
Write about your educational goals.
- The events in your life that lead you to want to earn a graduate degree in Education with teacher certification.
- The role this area of study now plays in your life and what has been your experience, if any, in this discipline.
- How you envision your life goals and professional aspirations changing as a result of this educational experience.
Write about your readiness to thrive in a graduate program in which you would work independently and requires high levels of self-direction and motivation.
- Describe your experiences completing independent projects.
- Discuss how your existing support network will help you handle the sense of isolation that can occur when completing projects independently.
- Write about how your strengths and weaknesses will play a part as you begin this program.
- Describe what kind of help you will need to address any weakness.
Academic Focus Essay for School Guidance Counseling
Applicants are free to frame their response within the context of a proposed thesis topic if they wish. In three to five pages, address your vision for your studies in Education. Each area below must be covered in your essay. Highlight each section with a heading title.
- In thinking about the field of education as an element of modern society, identify and discuss five problem areas that you find interesting enough to explore further as a student in the Master of Arts program. Please discuss a minimum of seven resources (books and articles) you are familiar with or look forward to using.
- Briefly describe your initial thoughts about a Practicum experience (internship, teaching) you might complete as part of your program. The practicum will offer you the opportunity to explore the theories and demonstrate your learning in your field of study in a practical, real-world context.
- Discuss your thoughts about a potential Thesis topic and how you might begin to cover it.
- Discuss how you will integrate Issues of Social and Ecological Awareness and Justice into your studies and research.
If you have questions about your proposed area of academic focus and if it is supported by the Prescott College Limited-Residency Master of Arts Program, please contact the Limited-Residency Master of Arts Admissions Representative prior to completing this essay, (877) 350-2100.
Prescott College Contact Information
220 Grove Avenue
Prescott, Arizona 86301