The Personal Statement
Limited-Residency Ph.D. in Education with a concentration in Sustainability Education
In three to five pages, articulate your extent of knowledge and preparation in the field; capacity for introspection, reflection and critical thinking; and how your personal history has brought you to this point.
Yourself in relation to your proposed doctoral studies.
- What events in your life have led you to want to earn a Ph.D. in Sustainability Education?
- What have been your life and learning experiences in this field?
- How large a part does this field play in your life and learning?
Your Learning Goals
- What do you want to know that you do not presently know?
- What do you want to do that you haven't already done?
- How do you want to be different than you are right now?
Merging Interests and Course of Study
- How does this new learning relate to your Program Proposal?
- What are some of your personal, social, or work-related interests that might become areas of research?
Your Readiness for Doctoral Study
- What experiences do you have initiating and directing independent projects?
- How do you handle the isolation that often comes with completing projects independently?
- What expertise and kind of relationship are you looking for with adjunct faculty?