How to Apply
Master of Science Counseling and Post-Master's Certificate Programs
Applicants who submit their completed application by the Priority Due Date will be considered for Graduate Fellowships.
Applicants to the Master of Science Program in Counseling do not need to have an extensive background in psychology, although there are some requirements for this in the Expressive Art concentration. The Admissions Committee is concerned with personal qualities and academic achievement. Applicants are encouraged to feature these qualities during personal interviews and in essays.
We believe that the mission of Mental Health Counseling is a sacred work of healing. The personal qualities of the prospective student are of the highest importance. These include humility, empathic compassion, curiosity, the ability to listen without narcissistic interference, and other attributes. We talk with prospective students as much as we do to try to ensure that they are on this personal path. With students who are academically weak, we can—if they have the right attitudes—help them ameliorate their weaknesses. But students who do not grasp the mission of Mental Health Counseling as we understand it, even if they are academically accomplished, would be better seeking a different training elsewhere.
Required Application Items
The Admissions Committee carefully considers all applications to the College, looking beyond the paperwork to see the individual who wants to be a member of our community. In addition to the admission criteria listed below we also consider a student's potential for growth and success at Prescott College.
Prescott College offers Post-Masters Certificates in the following areas:
- Adventure-based Psychotherapy
- Equine-Assisted Mental Health
- Expressive Art Therapy
- Somatic Psychology
Applicants to either the Master of Science in Counseling (all specialization included) or Post-Master's Certificate programs must complete and submit the following items before the published due dates:
- Application: Limited-Residency Master of Science in Counseling
- Essay #1
- Essay #2
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and/or universities previously attended. Post- Master's Certificate applicants only submit official transcripts confirming the Master's degree.
- $40 Non-refundable Application Fee
The Prescott College Limited-Residency Master of Science Program requires applicants to submit the official undergraduate and graduate transcripts of each regionally accredited institution attended since high school. Applicants to the Post-Master's Certificate Programs only need to submit official transcripts confirming their master's degree from a regionally accredited university.
Have your official transcripts sent directly to Admissions. Official transcripts can be submitted electronically by the issuing institution via www.scrip-safe.com . Please ask if your college or university offers this service.
Note: If you have questions about the specializations (Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Addiction Counseling, Couple and Family Therapy, or School Counseling), please contact an admissions counselor prior to completing your application at 877-350-2100, option 1.
Expressive Art Therapy Applicants
Applicants to the Expressive Art Therapy concentration must also submit at minimum a portfolio or demonstration of work. Along with artwork, please submit a brief descriptive statement which includes the date completed, title, medium, and size of each piece. A minimum 12 slides or prints must be submitted. Applicants may choose to submit their work in a slide sheet, CD, DVD, or a link to a website that clearly identifies you as the artist. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your samples returned once the admissions process is complete.
Expressive Art Therapy Program Prerequisites
Students must complete the following coursework with a letter grade of B or higher prior to or by the end of their first year in the Master of Arts Program. Coursework must be completed at an accredited 2-year or 4-year institution.
Requirements of the American Art Therapy Association:
- 18 semester credits in studio art (or 27 quarter credits) in studio based art courses. These must be completed before or during the first year of graduate art therapy training. Studio art coursework can be at the graduate or undergraduate level.
- At least 12 credit hours must be completed prior to beginning the art therapy coursework. The remaining 6 may be completed after beginning the first art therapy course that will count toward the ATR credential, but must be completed within a year of beginning graduate coursework in art therapy.
- Students must have a minimum of 3 semester hours (4 quarter hours) of credit in each of the following areas:
- The remaining 9 semester hours (12 quarter hours) can be in studio processes of the applicant’s choosing.
- In lieu of academic based studio coursework, 6 credits of the Studio Art requirement may be demonstrated via a portfolio demonstrating advanced competency in drawing, painting, and/or clay work.
Post-Master's Certificate applicants
Applicants to the Post-Master's Certificate Programs need to have a Master's degree in a related field. In order to establish whether or not you are eligible to apply, please contact the Admissions Office at 877-350-2100, option 1.
Please explain in one to two pages what inspires you to make the decision to apply for post graduate training in this concentration. Describe your approach to mental health counseling and how you see yourself integrating this new area of study into your future practice. What resources and supports do you have in place that will assist you in succeeding in a distance learning program?
Additional Required Application Items
In addition to required application items, applicants must complete a personal interview. The interview will be scheduled by a member of the Counseling department.
Submit application materials to—
220 Grove Avenue
Prescott, AZ 86301
*In certain cases one or more requirements may be waived.