Diversity & Inclusion
at Prescott College
Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, social class, physical ability or attributes, religious or ethical value systems, national origin, and political beliefs. Inclusion is involvement and empowerment, where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are recognized. An inclusive university promotes and sustains a sense of belonging; it values and practices respect for the talents, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of living of its members. *
Prescott College is a pluralistic community where respect for differences and dialogue are key aspects of true experiential education. At Prescott College diversity in race, ethnicity, class, age, ability, religious belief, sexual orientation, and gender are respected and celebrated as we actively seek understanding across lines of difference.
Kristin R. Woolever, PhD
Student Scholar Activism
A significant component of Prescott College's realizing its commitment to Diversity & Inclusion emerges in the inspirational scholar activism of our students. Working with our local, state, national, and international communities, our learners create and implement projects, which epitomize academic applications of partnership and justice. Whether it's organizing youth praxis conferences, offering empowerment programming for adolescent women, facilitating educational camps for LGBTQ teens, or hosting initiatives of intercultural solidarity (to name just a few), our students lead the way with their visionary, innovative work.
Social Justice in Arizona
While the state of Arizona has become a national example of discriminatory politics it continues to be an even stronger site of social justice organizing and activism. Prescott College finds itself in the midst of this environment with an opportunity to mobilize resources and take a public stand for social justice.
Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee works to promote, enhance and celebrate diversity at Prescott College.
Appointed by and reporting to the President, the Diversity Committee will be composed of representatives from across the
College including administrators, faculty members, staff members, and students.
The goals of the Committee are as follows:
• Advise the President on all matters and issues of diversity.
• Review the existing Diversity Committee goals and strategies, prioritize short-term goals annually, and recommend specific diversity goals for the College’s strategic planning processes.
• Collect, assess, and disseminate data on campus climate, group interactions, attitudes towards diversity, and student learning, retention, and success.
• Initiate policies/programs to enrich understanding of, respect for, and capabilities to support diversity at Prescott College.
• Promote the enhancement of educational programs to reflect intercultural values and diversity learning goals, and to support the recruitment, retention, and success of diverse learners.
• Initiate and support projects and programs aimed specifically at increasing the number of underrepresented minorities amongst our students, staff and faculty.
• Report annually on the work of the Committee and the progress made toward the short-term and longer-term strategic goals.
*Courtesy of Ferris State University
Diversity & Inclusion Resources
Supporting Diversity & Inclusion at Prescott College
Peer Education & Resource Center (P.E.R.C.)
Peer Education & Resource Center (P.E.R.C.) encourages students' ... Learn more >
Lee Cohen has helped many people experience the joy of self-expression through art, from children living in Costa Rican garbage dumps to ... Learn more >
James Nez, Esq. completed both the Limited Residency Undergraduate Program and the Master of Arts Program. He now practices civil and family ... Learn more >
Do what you are passionate about, take the time to figure out what gives you the most joy and satisfaction, and do work that is in line with what ... Learn more >