Jobs at Prescott College
Interim Chief Sustainability Officer - Prescott
Job ID#: 17-1218
Department: Business Office
Job Type: Staff - Part-time
Date Posted: Mon, 18 Dec 2017
Position Fill Date: Open until filled
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Job Summary (Return to top)
Interim Chief Sustainability Officer
Founded in 1966, Prescott College is proud to celebrate its rich 50-year history of offering experientially centered undergraduate and graduate degrees both on campus and via distance learning. Undergraduate students work closely with individual graduation committees to design their own degree plans, pulling from seven study areas: adventure education; arts and humanities; cultural and regional studies; environmental studies and sustainability; interdisciplinary studies; psychology, counseling, and human development; and education. Graduate programs include adventure education, arts and humanities, counseling, education, environmental studies, social justice and community organizing, expressive arts therapy, adventure-based psychotherapy, ecopsychology, and equine-assisted mental health.
Noted as a College of Distinction, one of the Best 382 Colleges by the Princeton Review, one of the top ten Most Innovative Small Colleges, one of the Best Value Colleges in Arizona, one of the Best Online Master’s in Counseling, one of the Best Value Master’s in Counseling programs, one of the 13 most interesting institutions by the Fiske Guide, and a veteran supportive campus by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services. Collaboration is emphasized over competition and interdisciplinary inquiry proceeds alongside professional skill development. Its courses are problem-based and solution-oriented; students work together to solve both local and global issues and help shape a more environmentally sustainable and socially just world.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Interim Chief Sustainability Officer will lead the Prescott College campus sustainability efforts starting Spring 2018. The position may continue through to the end of Spring 2019 assuming exceptional performance. This is a Prescott College campus-based position.
The successful candidate will engage in multiple, simultaneous efforts such as
- engaging students in topics of sustainability,
- working closely with Facilities Management in helping to improve infrastructural efficiency,
- maintaining and analyzing the campus data base of utilities usage,
- co-advising the nascent student sustainability club,
- establishing, maintaining, and improving working relations with the campus community (collaborating with interested personnel from all levels of staff, faculty, administration, and student body),
- working with our utilities (e.g., APS reps) and outside contractors to review and renew our Renewable Energy sourcing of electrical power,
- leading other sustainability initiatives as personally motivated.
Essential Responsibilities (Return to top)
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborates with the Directors and Personnel of Facilities, Student Life, Dining, IT, and Admissions and the Associate Directors of Outreach, Recruitment, and Alumni Relations, as well as the Campus Accountant to foster Prescott College’s developing community culture revolving around sustainable practice.
- Actively identifies and cultivates untapped opportunities to improve campus efficiencies, functionalities, and sufficiencies through regular campus walkthroughs and the maintenance/analysis of a utilities-usage data base (2008 to present).
- In consultation with the CFO and the Departments of Admissions and Marketing Outreach, creates effective promotional content for recruitment and retention campaigns.
- Advises and inspires the nascent student club on Sustainability towards the development, implementation, and follow through of projects that reflect club members’ interests.
- Represents the College as an exhibitor at local sustainability-related events such as Earth Day.
- Recruits Prescott College community members to join in the sustainability movement.
- Working with the Student Housing to help train RAs about how they can help educate/motivate village residents in living sustainably within our LEED Platinum construction.
- Provides Faculty with sustainability-related content in support of greater infusion of concepts of sustainability throughout the curriculum.
- In consultation with Facilities engages with outside sustainability-related vendors to assess the potential usefulness of their goods and services.
- Actively prospects for additional projects based upon person motivation to develop such sustainable practice as creating an intra-campus “classified” section where offices share unwanted items with other offices that need them; closing the food-waste—composting—gardening—food production loop; working with landscaping to relocate plants; supporting the butte-creek restoration efforts; renovating the outdoor classroom’s structure; creating educational signage for native vegetation, building-use efficiencies; educating the campus community (e.g., staff, faculty, students) about how they can better thermoregulate using passive means etc. etc.
Supervision (Return to top)No
Education and Experience (Return to top)
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Good spirited, optimistic, engaged and engaging personality eager to help Prescott College expand its dedication to the environment.
- Demonstrated dedication to sustainable practice, function, and lifestyle.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with a diverse population of students, faculty, staff, etc.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Eagerness to learn about the campus infrastructure, buildings, and utilities-based systems and revision them from a sustainability perspective.
- Strong organizational, observational, research, and data collection skills.
- Working knowledge of the sustainability theory and practice.
- A service oriented approach and an awareness of the needs and concerns of a private college are required.
- Experience with excel data entry and analysis.
Minimum Requirements (Return to top)
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT: Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.
Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.