Jobs at Prescott College
Instructional and Reference Librarian - Faculty
Job ID#: 18-0802
Job Type: Faculty - Full-time
Date Posted: Thu, 08 Feb 2018
Position Fill Date: Open until filled
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Job Summary (Return to top)
Instruction and Reference Librarian - Faculty
Founded in 1966, Prescott College is proud to celebrate its rich 50-year history of offering experientially centered undergraduate and graduate degrees both on campus and via distance learning.
Undergraduate students work closely with individual graduation committees to design their own degree plans, pulling from seven study areas: adventure education; arts and humanities; cultural and regional studies; environmental studies and sustainability; interdisciplinary studies; psychology, counseling, and human development; and education. Graduate programs include adventure education, arts and humanities, counseling, education, environmental studies, social justice and community organizing, expressive arts therapy, adventure-based psychotherapy, ecopsychology, and equine-assisted mental health.
Noted as a College of Distinction, one of the Best 382 Colleges by the Princeton Review, one of the top ten Most Innovative Small Colleges, one of the Best Value Colleges in Arizona, one of the Best Online Master’s in Counseling, one of the Best Value Master’s in Counseling programs, one of the 13 most interesting institutions by the Fiske Guide, and a veteran supportive campus by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services. Collaboration is emphasized over competition and interdisciplinary inquiry proceeds alongside professional skill development. Its courses are problem-based and solution-oriented; students work together to solve both local and global issues and help shape a more environmentally sustainable and socially just world.
The Prescott College campus is located in the mountain town of Prescott, Arizona, nestled between the ponderosa forests and grasslands at the confluence of the Granite Creek watershed. The mile-high city is ranked a Top Adventure Town by National Geographic Adventure Magazine, and one of the 7 Top Trail Towns according to Trail Runner Magazine. With over 450 miles of multi-use trails, world-class
mountain-biking, a thriving rock-climbing scene, and nearby lakes for kayaking and canoeing, Prescott is an outdoor paradise. The Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Flagstaff, and the red rocks of Sedona are all within a two-hour drive. The historic downtown is just minutes from campus.
Prescott College seeks an enthusiastic and creative faculty librarian to deliver instruction, reference, and research services to diverse students and faculty in-person and from a distance. This is a full-time, 12-month, faculty position that provides support to all academic programs. The successful candidate will have a passion for library services and the desire to provide quality services and instruction in the various on-campus and online learning environments provided by Prescott College. This position reports to the Director of Library Services.
Essential Responsibilities (Return to top)
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides general reference and instruction for undergrad and graduate students
- Teaches credit-bearing research methods courses either in person or online
- Provides in-depth, one-on-one research assistance in person and at a distance
- Stays current on relevant trends in instructional and reference services
- Explores new ways to reach out and promote information literacy and reference services
- Explores and develops opportunities to integrate library resources and services into courses
- Collaborates with librarians and staff on developing instructional materials, orientations, workshops, and classes
- Will work some evenings and weekends from time to time
- Contributes to web content
- Assists at circulation desk as needed
- Serves on various college and library consortia committees; participates in faculty governance
- Occasionally travels to regional hubs for on-site instruction and resource support
- Helps with selection of print and online library resources
Supervision (Return to top)None
Education and Experience (Return to top)
- Two years reference and instruction experience in an academic library
- Proven leadership and a desire to assume leadership roles
- Teaching experience; experience integrating information literacy and library research skills into curriculum
- Writing Center and/or editing experience
- Experience working with graduate students and supporting graduate-level research
- Experience with usability issues (technology, web design, etc…)
- Experience working with non-traditional students both in-person and at a distance
- Demonstrated commitment to serving diverse learners
- Experience with course management software
- Excellent organizational, analytical, and decision making skills
- Academic or professional background in an area of focus at Prescott College; in particular: community organizing, critical social theory, social justice, environmental studies, or ethnic studies
- Bilingual preferred
Minimum Requirements (Return to top)
- Master’s from an ALA-accredited library school or other appropriate terminal degree
- Minimum of one year of library experience in an academic setting
- Experience in developing online library and instructional resources and research tools
- Familiarity with standard research databases
- Excellent communication and teaching skills
- Supports the philosophy and mission of the College
- Very strong computer and technological skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Strong dedication to customer service
- Strong dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in librarianship
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Application Process: To apply for the position of Instructional and Reference Librarian - Faculty, the required Prescott College application materials include a letter of interest, a current resume or CV and a completed Prescott College Employment Application with specific position title. All submissions must be complete to be considered. The application materials may be submitted by email to: email@example.com Fax (928) 776-5103. For questions and/or clarifications please contact:
Prescott College Human Resources Office
220 Grove Avenue Prescott Arizona 86301
firstname.lastname@example.org (928) 350-4200 - Fax: (928) 776-5103
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT: Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.
Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.