Jobs at Prescott College
Graduate Admissions Counselor
Job ID#: 18-1305
Department: Admissions - ADGP
Job Type: Staff - Full-time
Date Posted: Wed, 13 Jun 2018
Position Fill Date: Open until filled
Reports to: Director of Admissions
Job Summary (Return to top)
Founded in 1966, Prescott College is proud to celebrate its rich 50-year history of offering experientially centered undergraduate and graduate degrees both on campus and via distance learning. Undergraduate students work closely with individual graduation committees to design their own degree plans, pulling from seven study areas: adventure education; arts and humanities; cultural and regional studies; environmental studies and sustainability; interdisciplinary studies; psychology, counseling, and human development; and education. Graduate programs include adventure education, arts and humanities, counseling, education, environmental studies, social justice and community organizing, expressive arts therapy, adventure-based psychotherapy, ecopsychology, and equine-assisted mental health.
Noted as a College of Distinction, one of the Best 382 Colleges by the Princeton Review, one of the top ten Most Innovative Small Colleges, one of the Best Value Colleges in Arizona, one of the Best Online Master’s in Counseling, one of the Best Value Master’s in Counseling programs, one of the 13 most interesting institutions by the Fiske Guide, and a veteran supportive campus by the Arizona Department of Veterans Services. Collaboration is emphasized over competition and interdisciplinary inquiry proceeds alongside professional skill development. Its courses are problem-based and solution-oriented; students work together to solve both local and global issues and help shape a more environmentally sustainable and socially just world.
The Prescott College campus is located in the mountain town of Prescott, Arizona, nestled between the ponderosa forests and grasslands at the confluence of the Granite Creek watershed. The mile-high city is ranked a Top Adventure Town by National Geographic Adventure Magazine, and one of the 7 Top Trail Towns according to Trail Runner Magazine. With over 450 miles of multi-use trails, world-class mountain-biking, a thriving rock-climbing scene, and nearby lakes for kayaking and canoeing, Prescott is an outdoor paradise. The Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Flagstaff, and the red rocks of Sedona are all within a two-hour drive. The historic downtown is just minutes from campus.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions, the individual in this position will be responsible for generating new student prospecting, conversion, and yielding methods to support on-campus and online graduate programs. The individual will possess a proactive sales approach and ease in interpersonal communication that is flexible to traditional and adult learners seeking graduate education. The individual will identify target markets and community partnerships through market research, data analysis, and relationship cultivation to build successful new student enrollment pipeline with multiple admissions terms. In order to be successful, the individual will provide prospects and applicants with a high-quality and personalized admissions experience. Advises prospective students to determine their educational goals and actively guides them through each phase of the admissions process. Works collaboratively with other campus constituencies to ensure applicants receive a high quality customer service. Participates in on and off campus recruitment and yielding events. Travel is required.
Essential Responsibilities (Return to top)
- Possesses a strong industry knowledge of current graduate program information in order to advise prospective students’ in-person and through phone, fax and email.
- Works with the Admissions staff and other campus constituencies to remain up-to-date with all relevant graduate program initiatives and news.
- Maintains a working knowledge of relevant institutional and Federal Financial Aid amounts, processes and timelines.
- Proactively connects with prospects by telephone and email to raise their awareness of relevant Prescott College graduate programs.
- Follows-up with inquiries and applicants via telephone and email within 24 hours of receipt (during the normal business week) throughout the application and admissions process to ensure engagement, increase conversion and impact yield. Escalates complex technical questions and questions about transfer credits to the appropriate department chair.
- Reviews applicant files for completeness. Responsible to maintaining a large number of application files.
- Exercises discretion and judgment in the development of guidelines and procedures subject to the approval of the Director and in responding to the special needs of applicants (e.g., learning and physical disabilities).
- Collaborates with the Director to develop new promotional ideas.
- Cross-trained to promote every program at Prescott College. Represents the College at various outreach events.
- Builds awareness and an understanding of the basic functions of the Financial Aid Office, Registrar, Business Office and how these offices relate to the admissions/enrollment process.
- Participates in regular professional development experiences to increase knowledge of enrollment management and value to the College.
- May include reading, research, informational interviews, and participation in seminars/conferences.
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervision (Return to top)Yes
Education and Experience (Return to top)
Qualifications: Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree highly desired; however, a bachelor’s degree plus an additional 2-3 years experience in admissions, student services, sales, recruitment, marketing, or another higher educational capacity will be considered.
- Two years of successful experience in a high-volume sales or relationship building role.
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email) on a PC windows based environment.
- Experienced user of CRM software and student information systems programs are a plus.
- Working knowledge of social media and texting a plus.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an environment characterized by large workloads, deadline pressures and high standards.
- A service oriented approach and an awareness of the needs and concerns of a private, liberal arts college are required.
- Excellent written, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, the ability to exercise sound judgment and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, counselors, alumni and other constituents.
- A valid driver’s license with reliable transportation to support in state and out of state travel. Evening and weekend work is required.
Minimum Requirements (Return to top)
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT: Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.
Prescott College is committed to Equal Opportunity Employment and supports excellence through diversity. We encourage qualified applicants from historically underrepresented groups along with Veterans and AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni to participate in our recruitment efforts.