Education Research Guide
The Education program at Prescott College includes a wide variety of courses and areas of study, including Assessment & Measurement; Characteristics & Practices in the Young Child's Behavior; Children & Nature; Classroom Management; Child Growth & Development; Curriculum Design; Early Language & Literacy; Health, Safety, & Nutrition; Learning Theories; Science: Methods & Practice, and various Special Topics.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias Keywords Article DatabaseseJournalsWeb Resources Research Methods Citation StylesStatisticsOrganizations
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Approaches to Learning : A Guide for Teachers
- EdSpeak: A Glossary of Education Terms, Phrases, Buzzwords, and Jargons
- Encyclopedia of African-American Education
- Encyclopedia of Multicultural Education
- Experiential Learning: A Best Practice Handbook for Educators and Trainers
- Historical Dictionary of American Education
- Historical Dictionary of Women's Education in the United States
- Key Concepts in the Philosophy of Education
- Key Elements of Classroom Management
- Powerful Learning
- Understanding by Design -2nd edition
- Education and Sociology: An Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of American Education
- Encyclopedia of Bilingualism & Bilingual Education
- Encyclopedia of Educational Research
- Philosophy of Education: An Encyclopedia
Books and journal databases each have their own "controlled vocabulary" - using the appropriate language will give you the most specific search results.
- EBSCOhost, including Academic Search Premier and Environment Complete. Full-text articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection. EBSCOhost includes ERIC and Education Research Complete.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JStor a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
- ProQuest, including Research Library, provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- Contemporary Issues in Technology & Teacher Education
- Current Issues in Education
- Early Childhood Research & Practice
- Education Review
- Educause Review
- Electronic Journal of Science Education
- International Journal for Mathematics Teaching & Learning
- International Journal of Education & the Arts
- International Journal of Special Education
More free education e-journals can be found at the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- Annenberg Institute for School Reform
- Arizona Department of Education
- Center for Public Education
- NEA Reference Center
- RAND Education
- U.S. Department of Education
Handouts provide help in writing style, formatting your paper, and citing your sources, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section.
- APA: The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- American Montessori Society
- The Association for Experiential Education
- Association of Waldorf Schools in North America
- Children & Nature Network
Contact a Librarian!