Sustainability Research Guide
Many programs and courses at Prescott College include a sustainability component, including Sustainability Education, Sustainable Community Development, and Environmental Studies.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Organizations | Statistics
- The Designer's Atlas of Sustainability: Charting the Conceptual Landscape through Economy, Ecology, and Culture
- Dictionary of Human Geography
- Ecological Economics and Sustainable Development, Selected Essays of Herman Daly
- Fifty Key Thinkers on the Environment
- Green Building A to Z: Understanding the Language of Green Building
- Green Cities: Urban Growth & the Environment
- Survival for a Small Planet: The Sustainable Development Agenda
- Sustainable Development Strategies: A Resource Book
Books and journal databases each have their own "controlled vocabulary" - using the appropriate language will give you the most specific search results.
|Sustainable development||Publich Health||Economic development|
|Social aspects||Ecology||Environmental policy|
|Environmental organizations||Urban Planning||Environmentalism|
- EBSCOhost, including Academic Search Premier and Environment Complete. Full-text articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JSTOR a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
- ProQuest, including Research Library, provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- Consilience: The Journal of Sustainable Development
- American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture
- Green and Sustainable Chemistry
- Earth System Dynamics
- International Journal of the Commons
- Journal of Sustainable Development
- SAPIENS: Surveys and Perspectives Integrating Environment & Society
Handouts provide help in writing style, formatting your paper, and citing your sources, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section.
APA: The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- CERES: Coalition for Environmental Sustainability
- GreenBlue - "We are a nonprofit that equips business with the science and resources to make products more sustainable."
- Institute for Environment and Sustainability - European Commission Joint Research Centre
- The Natural Step - "Committed to researching the science of sustainability and linking it to real world applications."
- Rocky Mountain Institute - "We work extensively with the private sector, as well as with civil society and government, to create abundance by design and to apply the framework of natural capitalism."
- Donella Meadows Institute - "Applies systems thinking, systems dynamic modeling, and organizational learning to economic, environmental and social challenges."
- United States Green Building Council
Contact a Librarian!