Adventure Education Research Guide
The Adventure Education program at Prescott College includes a wide variety of courses and areas of study, including Alpine Mountaineering; Environmental Perspectives and Whitewater Rafting; Expeditionary Rivers: Arctic: Canoeing Alaska; SCUBA Diving & Marine Natural History; Whitewater Rafting; Rock Climbing & Geology; Rock Climbing & Yoga; Introduction to Rock Climbing; Sea Kayaking & Marine Natural History; Adventure Education; Explorers & Geographers; Geography of the Eastern World; Maps & Wilderness Navigation; Origins & Directions in Adventure Education; Outdoor Education & Recreation; Rock Climbing for Women; Rock Climbing; The Whole Athlete; Women's Topics in Wilderness Leadership; and various Special Topics.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Subject Terms | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Organizations
On the Reference Shelf:
Books and journal databases each have their own "controlled vocabulary" - using the appropriate language will give you the most specific search results.
|Experiential learning||Experiential learning||Experiential learning|
|Outdoor education||Outdoor education||Outdoor education|
|Adventure education||Adventure AND Education||Adventure education|
|Adventure therapy||Adventure AND Therapy||Adventure therapy|
- EBSCOhost includes Academic Search Premier, ERIC, Education Research Complete and Environment Complete. Full-text articles are available over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JSTOR is a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
- ProQuest including Research Library, provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- High Country News
- Journal of Adventure Education & Outdoor Leadership
- Journal of Experiential Education
- Maps, Imagery, & Publications from USGS
- National Snow & Ice Data Center
Outdoor Ed The Outdoor Professional's Resource
Handouts provide help in writing style, formatting your paper, and citing your sources, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section.
APA The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- The Access Fund
- American Alpine Club
- The Association for Experiential Education
- Children & Nature Network
Contact a Librarian!
Michaela Willi Hooper 928-350-1307
Rich Lewis 928-350-1301
Mon - Fri: 8 am - 6 pm
Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm
Special Symposium Hours
Fri, May 16: 8 am - 9 pm
Saturday, May 17: 8 am - 6 pm
Sunday, May 18: 8 am - 3 pm
Contact the Library
toll free: 877-350-2100 x1300