Research Guide: Environmental Studies
Environmental Studies at Prescott College includes a wide variety of courses and areas of study, including Animal Biology; Biological Principles; Concepts of Ecology; Conservation Biology; Earth Science; Energy & the Environment; Environmental Ethics; Environmental Geology; Fire Ecology; Food Preservation & Seed Conservation; Form & Pattern in Nature; GIS; Human Ecology; Marine Studies; Natural History & Ecology of the Southwest; Organic Evolution; Philosophies of Interpretive Naturalists; Park & Wilderness Management; Plants & Humans; Soil Science; Southwestern Archaeology; Systematics of Seed Plants; Wetland Ecology & Management; and various Special Topics.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Statistics | Organizations
- Aquatic, Wetland, and Invasive Plant Glossary
- Becoming Human Glossary glossary, news, links
- The Borderlands Encyclopedia sections on Culture, Economics, Education, Family and Politics and Government
- Encyclopedia of Earth peer-reviewed articles
- Encyclopedia of Life
- Tree of Life Web Project information about biodiversity, the characteristics of different groups of organisms, and their evolutionary history
- Blackwell's Concise Encyclopedia of Ecology
- Comprehensive Dictionary of Biology
- Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior
- Environment Dictionary
- Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant Names
- Hutchinson Encyclopedia of Science
- Atlas of Life on Earth
- The Columbia Guide to American Environmental History
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity
- Modern American Environmentalists: A Biographical Encyclopedia
- Oxford Companion to the Earth
- Birds of North America BNA Online provides comprehensive life histories for each of the 716+ species of birds breeding in the USA (including Hawaii) and Canada.
- EBSCOhost searches Academic Search Premier, Environment Complete, and Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide . EBSCOhost contains articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, the database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- Google Scholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web."
- ProQuest includes Research Library, Biological Sciences, BioOne, Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management, and Dissertations & Theses. It provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
- ScienceDirect Full text database with content in environmental studies and psychology
full text, academic content
- The Environmental Magazine
- Ecology and Society
- Environmental History
- Environmental Politics
- Human Dimensions of Wildlife
- Journal of Natural History
- Marine Ornithology
- National Parks Magazine
Searchable Ornithological Research Archive (SORA) full text articles from Auk, Condor, etc.
- Biodiversity Hotspots clearinghouse of information for planning and decision-making
- Birds of North America
- Endangered Species Program includes U.S. and international
- The Feather Atlas
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, 2011
- USGS Geology Research and Information
- The Biology Project
- USDA PLANTS Database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories
Handouts provide help in writing style, formatting your paper, and citing your sources, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section.
- Prescott College handout for Anthropology style
- American Anthropological Association Style Guide
- 2011 updated Conservation Biology Style Guide
- Conservation Biology Style Guide 2004, lots of author information
- Prescott College handout for McMillan 5th edition, based on Council of Science Editors (CSE)
- Bureau of Land Management
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Energy.gov (U.S. Department of Energy)
- Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA - Water Wetlands, Oceans, and Watersheds
- NOAA Fisheries
- North American Congress on Latin America
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations - Statistics provides time-series and cross sectional data relating to food and agriculture for some 200 countries
- UN Statistics Division - Environment
Contact a Librarian!
Michaela Willi Hooper 928-350-1307
Rich Lewis 928-350-1301
Mon - Fri: 8 am - 6 pm
Saturday: 10 am - 6 pm
Contact the Library
toll free: 877-350-2100 x1300