This guide is intended as a starting place for students doing coursework in gender and sexuality, and as a resource guide for the Prescott College LGBTQ community.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias | Keywords | Article Databases | eJournals | Web Resources | Citation Styles | Statistics | Organizations
- Encyclopedia of Homosexuality
- glbtq: the world's largest encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer culture
- Conflict and Counterpoint in Lesbian, Gay and Feminist Studies
- Departing from Deviance: A History of Homosexual Rights and Emancipatory Science in America
- Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender
- Ethics of Marginality: A New Approach to Gay Studies
- Homosexuality and Civilization
- Homosexuality and Science: A Guide to the Debates
- Homosexuality in Greece and Rome: A Sourcebook of Basic Documents
- Nineteenth-Century Writings on Homosexuality: A Sourcebook
- Queer Popular Culture: Literature, Media, Film and Television
- Queer Theories
- Queer Theory and Social Change
- Who's Who in Gay and Lesbian History
More ebooks on the LGBTQ e-bookshelf!
- Gay Lives
- Queer History of the United States
- Queer Questions, Straight Answers: The Contemporary Debates on Sexual Orientation
- Race, Class and Gender: An Anthology
- Straight State: Sexuality and Citizenship in Twentieth-Century America
Check out the print collection from the Prescott Pride Center! You can place a hold on any of these books and pick them up at the Prescott College Library.
- gay men
- gay rights
- gender identity
- sexual minorities
- sexual orientation
- transgender people
- EBSCOhost provides full-text articles in over 4,700 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for all 8,250 journals in the collection.
- GoogleScholar "enables you to search specifically for scholarly literature, including peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, preprints, abstracts and technical reports from all broad areas of research. Use Google Scholar to find articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles available across the web".
- JSTOR is a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. JSTOR is not a current issues database. Because of JSTOR's archival mission, there is a gap, typically from 1 to 5 years, between the most recently published journal issue and the back issues available in JSTOR. Prescott College subscribes to Arts & Sciences Collections I and IV, Biological Sciences Collection, and Language & Literature Collection.
ProQuest provides several collections, including Research Library (scholarly articles) and Dissertations & Theses. It provides one-stop access to a wide range of popular academic subjects. The database includes more than 3,820 titles—over 2,550 in full text—from 1971 forward.
full text, academic content
- GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies
- Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health
- Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services
- Journal of Homosexuality
- Journal of Lesbian Studies
- Journal of LGBT Youth
- Studies in Gender and Sexuality
Advocate.com National LGBT news.
- EchoMag.com LGBT News and events in Arizona.
- Gender Studies & Queer Theory An introduction from the Purdue OWL.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns from the American Psychological Association.
- LGBT Health From the CDC.
- Queer Theory An introduction with further resources.
These handouts help with basic citation questions, both in-text and in the References/Bibliography section. Consult the Manual(s) for specific guidelines in writing and formatting your paper.
- Chicago The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition
- APA The Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Style, 6th edition
- MLA The Style Guide of the Modern Language Association
Campus Pride represents the leading national nonprofit organization for student leaders and campus groups working to create a safer college environment for LGBT students.
- Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation (GLAAD) For over 25 years, GLAAD has worked with news, entertainment and social media to bring culture-changing stories of LGBT people into millions of homes and workplaces every day.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association The leader in LGBT health since 1981.
- GLBT Historical Society Some finding aids and digital resources available online.
- GLBT National Help Center Providing resources, hotlines, and peer-supported chat.
- Lambda Legal is a national organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and those with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Point Foundation empowers promising LGBTQ students to achieve their full academic and leadership potential - despite the obstacles often put before them - to make a significant impact on society.
- Same Sex Couples from U.S. Census Bureau.
Contact a Librarian!
Michaela Willi Hooper 928-350-1307
Rich Lewis 928-350-1301
Current Library Hours
Mon - Thu: 7:30 am - midnight
Fri: 7:30 am - 10 pm
Sat: 10 am - 6 pm
Sun: noon - midnight
The Library will be closed for Spring Break 3/10-3/15.
You can also view our complete, yearly schedule.
Contact the Library
toll free: 877-350-2100 x1300