Education & Teacher Preparation
Preparing students to flourish in a variety of educational settings
Prescott College prepares students in the field of teacher certification at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Prescott College’s Teacher Preparation Programs provide relevant and rigorous education that focuses on diversity, social justice and environmental sustainability. We seek to model the experiential methods and cultural and environmental sensitivities that will in turn enable our students to flourish in a variety of educational settings and meet the challenges of today’s profession.
In order to create dynamic, learner-centered classrooms, teachers must be dedicated, informed, and resourceful learners. In the process of preparing students to receive their teaching credential, Prescott College’s programs emphasize current educational research and theory, as well as practical experience in the classroom. The programs include course work, field experiences (including a 12-week capstone practicum/student teaching experience), and a set of structured assessments distributed throughout the program.
Learning Model includes:
- Participative, experiential instruction involving learners in action, discussion and thought-provoking activities
- Classroom management techniques stressing praise and positive regard to social and emotional development, conflict resolution, and enhancing motivation (by learner-chosen activities)
- Use of multiple teaching strategies based on variations in learner styles, language and cultural backgrounds within school-based teaching settings
- Sensitivity to social and ecological environments (and various teaching contexts)
- A commitment to social justice and equitable education for all learners
- Where applicable, design, implementation, and assessment of individualized education programs
- Also where applicable, students develop skill in culturally-responsive collaboration with families, other educators, related service providers, and personnel from community agencies
- Knowledge of state and nationally identified core competencies, standards, and emerging approaches and expectations for professional practice
- Mastering educational principles and applying them in problem-solving situations within course work and student teaching
All course work, field experiences, and assessments in Prescott College’s Teacher Preparation programs align with the state and national teaching standards, including Arizona Professional Teaching Standards (APTS), the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC), and the International Society for Technology in Education/National Education Technology Standards for Teachers (ISTE/NETS). Early Childhood Special Education programs also align with the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Standards.
Educator Candidate Dispositions
Dispositions are the values, commitments, and professional ethics that influence behaviors towards students, families, colleagues, and communities that affect student learning, motivation and development as well as the educator’s own professional growth (National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education). These dispositions are based on Prescott College’s Education Program’s mission statement, institutional values and reflect the Arizona Professional Teaching Standards. All education candidates will be reviewed for dispositional growth and development throughout their participation in the Education Program. Prescott College Educator Candidate Dispositions include caring, equitability, responsibility, professionalism, social justice.
Education & Teacher Preparation Brochure
Limited-Residency Undergraduate Teacher PreparationPrescott College’s Limited-Residency Undergraduate Programs are for students of any age and b...
Master of Education ProgramOur Master of Education is a program that relies on an online instructional delivery model an...
Resident Undergraduate Teacher PreparationIn the Resident Undergraduate Program, Prescott College offers a Bachelor of Arts Degree in s...
Limited-Residency Masters of Arts and Post-Masters CertificateIn the Limited-Residency Masters of Arts Program, Prescott College offers a Master of Arts De...
The Graduate Teaching Assistant Program (GTAP)Graduate Teaching Assistantships provide graduate students with experiential learning opportu...
Endorsement ProgramsPrescott College offers a post-degree program that provides endorsement for individuals—or co...
Teacher Preparation Post-Degree CertificatesPrescott College offers Post-Degree Teaching Certificate in five different subject areas, for...
Teacher Preparation Program Title II ReportSection 207 of Title II of the Higher Education Act mandates that the Department of Education...
Prescott College Contact Information
220 Grove Avenue
Prescott, Arizona 86301