Research is the process of investigating a subject, learning what's been said and done previously, and, based on this, formulating your own informed opinion.
How do you begin?
There is no one way, or right way, to do research. Start by thinking about your particular topic, issue, or question. Where would you likely find information? Possibilities include
- books (in Yavapai County and worldwide!)
- journal articles (article databases)
- organizations (local, or available online)
- newspapers (maybe an online archive)
- people (interviews)
- and, usually, a combination of all of the above!
Throughout the research process, remember to evaluate the information you find. Remember that anyone can create a great-looking web page, but is the information valid?
Check out our Video Tutorials on Youtube!
Handouts and online help on specific topics:
- Evaluating Print and Online Resources
- Writing an Annotated Bibliography
- A bibliography of books about doing research, all available in our library
For RDP Students...